Are you thinking of applying for a loan or new credit card, but a low credit score or negative items on your credit report are holding you back? A credit repair service can help improve your credit. But choosing a credit repair company can be challenging. It’s important to work with a reputable provider with experience in the process. Here, we have compiled a list of tips to help you find a dependable Los Angeles credit repair service for help achieving your goals.
What Is a Credit Repair Service?
Credit repair means a service provider which can help improve your credit score by removing inaccurate information, errors, or negative items such as late payments, charge-offs, and collections from your credit report. There are various ways to approach this. Experienced credit repair companies can help you by:
- Finding and challenging errors on your credit report
- Disputing errors and inaccurate information with the credit bureaus
- Handling negotiations with creditors and lenders, if you’re willing to settle or pay past-due debt
- Provide credit counseling to help determine which accounts to pay down first or what new accounts to open
Why Should You Use a Credit Repair Service?
Knowing why you should consider credit repair can help determine whether working with a credit restoration service is your best option. The benefits of doing so include:
- Use of proven and effective strategies and processes
- Help with understanding your credit reports and the information they contain
- Direct communication with credit bureaus
- Advice and insight on improving your situation
- Support for your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act
How to Choose a Credit Repair Service in Los Angeles
If you’re looking for the right credit repair company in Los Angeles, these are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Find out what services are offered: Inquire about the strategies the company uses. Some use the dispute resolution process, while others may use more aggressive methods that require industry expertise. There are credit repair companies that will also help you qualify for new credit cards, a car loan, or home loan. Remember, credit repair takes time, and beware of any company that guarantees results (which is illegal).
- Check reviews: Read any customer testimonials on the company’s website, as well as reviews on external websites. Check carefully for reviewers with similar situations to yours. Also consider recommendations from relatives or colleagues, which can provide insights into the provider’s quality of service, reliability, and legitimacy.
- Years of experience: Look for a company operating for at least two or three years, so you can see whether it is consistent. It wouldn’t still be in business otherwise. Also verify the business has a physical address; those that don’t are usually illegal and untrustworthy.
- Accreditation: Make sure the company is accredited by a nationally recognized entity. One example is the National Association of Credit Services Organizations. Accreditation means the business meets strict quality standards for membership.
- Fees/Cost: Avoid any company that charges too high a fee. Firms that charge upfront fees should be avoided as well. The Credit Repair Organization Act prohibits firms from accepting payment before completing offered services. Fees should be reasonable, and don’t work with any firm that charges an attractively small price for individual items.
- Know your rights: Credit repair companies are required by law to provide you with a Notice of Cancellation and a copy of the Consumer Credit File Rights. The law is designed to protect consumers from unfair and deceptive advertising practices.
Contact American Credit
At American Credit, we provide professional credit restoration, credit repair, and consultation services to clients in Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and elsewhere in Southern California. Following an accurate analysis of your situation, we apply a pre-litigation process that is more effective than the standard method of dispute resolution. Contact us today to schedule a free Credit Repair Consultation.